Quick and Easy Step by Steps DIY Bed Frame Ideas
DIY Bed Frame Ideas – Wooden bed frames are quick and easy to make from lumber available at any lumber yard or home improvement store. The length and width of the box spring determine the size of the frame. The box spring is supported by 2-by-6 lumber and held in place by 2-by-8 trim pieces that capture the spring and prevent it from slipping off the frame. A guide to standard mattress sizes is provided in the next section.
Steps for DIY Bed Frame Ideas
- Add 1/2-inch to the length of the box spring for the sides pieces. Subtract 2 1/2 inches from to the width of the box spring for the head and foot pieces. The 2 1/2-inch subtraction is a 3-inch subtraction for the thickness of the side pieces less a 1/2-inch allowance for the size of the box spring.
- Measure and cut two 2-by-6 boards to the length of the frame, and two 2-by-6 boards to the width measurement. Set the boards for the frame sides on edge on the floor and place the head and foot pieces on edge between them. The four boards make a square.
- Measure between two diagonal corners, then between the other two diagonal corners. Adjust the layout until the two measurements are equal, which indicates the boards form a perfect square.
- Drill three pilot holes at each end of each side piece, through the face of the side piece and into the end of each head and foot piece. Screw the side pieces to the head and foot pieces with the wood screws.
- Measure and mark a 2-by-6 board for cutting at 5 1/2 inches. Cut the board at a 45-degree angle to make a triangle with two sides 5 1/2 inches long. The dimensions of a 2-by-6 are 1 1/2 inches thick by 5 1/2 inches wide. Cut a total of four triangular-shaped pieces for corner braces.
- Place a corner brace on the inside of the frame with the 5 1/2-inch sides against a side piece and the foot piece, about 1/2 inch from the top of the frame. Place a clamp across the corner of the frame and the long edge of the triangular brace to hold it in place, and to keep the frame square.
- Drill three pilot holes through the foot piece into the brace, and through the side piece into the brace. Screw the frame to the brace with the wood screws. Place a brace at each corner of the frame the same way.
- Add 1 1/2 inches to the length of the frame and cut two pieces of 1-by-8 board to this length for the side trim pieces. Make a mark 3/4 inches from each end of each board. Cut two 1-by-8 boards to the width of the box spring plus 1/2 inch for the head and foot trim pieces.
- Position the two side trim pieces on edge next to the sides of the frame. Align the 3/4-inch marks near the ends with the ends of the frame. The pieces extend past the frame 3/4 inches at the head and foot. Nail the side trim pieces to the side of the frame with two finish nails placed every 16 inches.
- Set the head and foot trim pieces between the side trim pieces at the foot and head of the bed frame. Nail the trim pieces to the bed frame with two finish nails placed every 16 inches.
Things you will need when build DIY Bed Frame Ideas
- Tape measure
- 2-by-6 lumber
- 7/64-inch countersinking drill bit
- Philips bit
- 3-inch-long, 1/4-inch wood screws
- 1-by-8 lumber
- 6d finish nails
Tips DIY Bed Frame Ideas
Measure the box spring to be certain of the dimensions. Standard sizes are approximate and may vary among manufacturers and box springs.
King-size box springs often come in two pieces and need a support in the middle. Add two additional 2-by-6 supports from head to foot in the middle of the frame.
Always wear safety glasses when working with tools and a dust mask while cutting wood.