8 Tips For Choosing A Floor Color
One of the most difficult tasks to create an interior is not only beautiful, but also practical, and this will require a lot of knowledge. The color scheme of the room plays an important role in creating a comfortable space. Is it possible to choose the color of the floor taking into account the maximum number of factors on which not only the appearance of the premises, but also the indicators of living comfort depends? First of all, the flooring sets the basis for the interior, so their color should be combined and complement the beauty of the design as a whole.
In the article we will take a closer look at how to choose the floor color in combination with other elements of the interior – new or existing, on the design of individual rooms, but first you need to learn the general rules.
- 1 Color For The Floor: General Recommendations
- 2 Features Of Different Shades Of Floors
- 3 Which Color Is The Most Practical?
- 4 Choosing A Floor Color For A Perfect Interior
- 5 Floor Color And Personality Type
- 6 Floor Color Depending On The Style Of Design
- 7 The Combination Of Flooring With Interior Elements
- 8 Floor Color By Type Of Room
- 9 Conclusion
At the initial stage of the upcoming repair, the desired result and the influence of other elements that will be present in the interior should be highlighted. The result of comparing all the details will be more than just their individual total amount. In order for each room to acquire a special personality, it is necessary to choose a floor covering not only for practical reasons, but also for your own preferences.
As for the recommendations, it is worth highlighting several options:
- Light colors allow you to visually expand the space and go well with other colors. But there are exceptions, for example, for a shade of white oak, colors such as chocolate, chestnut and red are not suitable.
- If the shades of the floor and doors are different, then it is advisable that the doors match the shades of the furniture in the room.
- Thanks to the color combination of the floor or doors with the plinth, you can harmoniously combine the interior composition or emphasize it.
- For northern and small rooms, the use of cold tones should be excluded, they are more appropriate in spacious rooms with a high natural level of lighting.
- In combinations we use no more than three colors, so as not to cause dissonance in the interior. This is one of the main rules so that the interior is not overloaded with color saturation. Combining more colors is a daunting task. Black, white, gray are considered monochrome and go well with all colors, the rest are called achromatic and can only be represented in a few shades. So there really are many options.
- The rule of the triangle is that the colors in the interior should be present in different volumes and they are divided into three groups: main, accent and additional. You can take the color of the floor and walls as the main one, the ceiling in this case is usually white, the additional colors are furniture, and the accent colors are accessories, interior small details.
Floors of white shades are perfect for any style and interior of the room, it is associated with cleanliness and conciseness. White tones are unobtrusive and undoubtedly give the atmosphere lightness and spaciousness, make the room much brighter, this will compensate for the lack of natural light. White floors combined with green walls will help create an atmosphere of freshness and tranquility, while white and purple will emphasize prestige. To create a classic style, white floors and yellow walls will be an excellent solution, but brown walls look strictly, as an option they can be used when decorating spacious living rooms.
Gray shades have a special plasticity always organically fit into any interior decisions giving a serene and elegant look. The combination of gray and blue can be used in the design of bedrooms and an office, gray with orange can calm the activity of the nervous system, but it is not recommended to combine with green. Gray and violet look great, the “third is not superfluous” you can still add white tones to this combination, but gray should remain a priority. The female half chooses a combination of gray and pink, such a combination of “airiness”.
Yellow and beige. Bright yellow shades are used in modern design giving unusual and catchy. Soft and calm beige fits into any room thanks to its elegance and sophistication. These colors are similar to natural wood and will always be in fashion. In combination with them, all colors of walls and ceilings can be used. If you need to expand the room, you should add white, and for the severity add brown.
Red is dominant and audacious. In red shades, noble expensive wood in the interior looks catchy and gives an expensive exclusive look. The combination of red and blue is not recommended.
Brown. Often used in the design of rooms in a country style, at the same time it gives sophistication and rural simplicity, but this color is better to use if the room has a sufficient amount of natural or artificial lighting.
Yandex.Direct Assistance in the selection of financial services / organizations2020 Cadillac XT57 Dwarfs. Apartment renovation, design.
Black shades should be used quite carefully and carefully. With it, you can create a dynamic, ultramodern, bold design. Looks great in combination with gold elements.
Above in the article we examined the options for the color palette, but what color can be attributed to the most practical for each room separately.
- Brick, terracotta tones or all possible shades of natural wood are well suited for the corridor. The best option may be a floor in a combination of several colors or floors, such as marble. It is better to exclude dark and white ones, dust and street dirt from shoes in rainy weatherstand out well, which increases the labor-intensiveness of cleaning such coatings.
- Black and white colors are not recommended for the bedroom in terms of practicality. It should be taken into account that light dust is collected on the floor in bedrooms, it will be less noticeable on transparent varnish; as a result, it is worth choosing not the color, but the finish coating.
- Any color issuitable for the hall as this room is less visited. More attention should be paid to design, cleaning in this room is not difficult.
- For the bathroom, the ideal colors are blue and light blue, on such coatings drops from dried water will be less noticeable. As for the finishing materials for the bathroom, it should be emphasized that it is advisable to use moisture-resistant materials in such rooms.
In design solutions, there are tricky tricks that make it possible to breathe light and air into a small room, and add coziness and warmth to a spacious room with high ceilings.
The effect of combining the color of the floor of the walls and ceiling
Consider color options for living rooms, which may come in handy during repairs.
Dark flooring combined with bright walls and bright ceilings.
If you use a contrasting color scheme, the room will always look stylish and expressive, and the use of combinations of light shades with rich darks can hide the flaws and highlight the advantages of the room.
- low ceiling room
In rooms with low ceilings, it is better to use dark shades of walls, wallpapers with vertical stripes or a pattern. If necessary, use a thin ceiling plinth to match the wall or, if possible, eliminate the presence of a plinth. The ceiling is light and the floor, on the contrary, is dark. Due to the verticals, the space seems to “stretch” on the walls, and the light ceiling against them looks soaring. The dark color of the floor creates the depth of space.
- narrow room with low ceilings
In this case, the same technique is used as described in the previous version, but it is worth complementing with the contrasting light color of one wall, thus visually shortening the elongated room. If the room has a window, it can be decorated with light curtains on the floor using a ceiling cornice, such a solution will make the room visually higher.
Important. With dark walls and a dark floor, it is better to choose furniture in light colors, and decor elements are bright. Such tricks will add volume. If you want to “push” the room visually, then the sofa or bed is installed across.
Dark floor combined with dark walls and bright ceiling
When using different shades of the same color scheme, any room will look harmonious and traditional. For fans of a monotonous lifestyle or classic to their liking, the colors of dark chocolate for the floor, cocoa for the walls and milk for the ceiling are suitable. A soft stretch from dark to light will bring harmony and peace and it is worth emphasizing that such a combination is suitable for any room, whether it be a bedroom, a guest room or a corridor. This range can be supplemented with contrasting skirting boards, doors, cornices in white, dark brown or black. Furniture and accessories are chosen at personal discretion and preference, but based on the warm saturation of the walls and ceiling.
Dark floor combined with light walls and a light ceiling
When choosing a dark flooring for a small room with a low ceiling, you should not be afraid that this combination will reduce the height. You can simply use light shades for walls, ceilings, curtains, as well as additional elements – skirting boards, platbands, cornices. Regarding furniture, it is not recommended to clutter up large quantities with rich texture and color. On the floor you can lay a light small rug, and interior items choose a laconic form with elegant lines.
Dark floor combined with light walls and dark ceiling
This color scheme, oddly enough, is suitable for rooms with high ceilings and low. The main rule is that the color of the floor and the ceiling should be the opposite of the color of the walls and remember that cold shades can visually alienate and warm shades bring objects and surfaces closer. If a room with low ceilings will need to construct a two-level ceiling, paint the base level in a dark cool color, and make the suspended level light. This option will visually raise and deepen the low ceiling, and light walls will expand the space.
Visualization options for rooms using color matching:
- A dark floor with pale walls and a ceiling will expand the room.
- A dark floor with a dark ceiling will expand the room and reduce the height of the ceiling.
- Dark walls with light floors and ceilings emphasize the horizontal lines of the room.
- Light floor, ceiling and one wall (rear): the room will become deeper, higher and narrower.
- A dark back wall and light side walls, on the contrary, will reduce the depth of the room.
- A light ceiling, dark floor and dark walls will create the effect of the “basement” when the light will be only on you.
- Light floor, light rear wall, dark side walls and dark ceiling will create the effect of the “tunnel”
- The room with a dark cavity will lose its shape.
- The light floor and light walls create the effect of spaciousness, but a large number of light colors will make the room cold and faceless.
How to add space
Many people encounter such a problem as the small size of the rooms, in order to visually increase the space you can use lighter and colder shades for the floor and walls, due to this the room will become larger than it actually is. But the dark and warm shades will make the room smaller, but more comfortable. When choosing a floor covering such as parquet and laminate, it is worth paying attention to collections in which V-shaped chamfers are present. This will create the effect of the depth of the room, and to enhance the effect, laying such a floor covering should be done along the propagation of light. Another important point is the choice of the color of the baseboard. Increase floor area skirting board of the same color as the floor covering itself will help. But the reverse is also true, if the baseboard matches the color of the walls, then the floor area will seem smaller.
Scientifically proven that color affects the psychological state of a person. This is important because we spend most of our lives indoors.
- Red color can cause anxiety and causes a heartbeat. Under the influence of red, a person can become aggressive. This color is not recommended in bedrooms, children’s rooms and kitchens, but in living rooms it will look great, but not in large quantities.
- Sex of yellow shades will charge with active energy without anxiety and aggression, it stimulates brain activity. Ideal for the office and in the nurseries.
- In limited quantities, violet and blue, with a long stay in a room with the color of this category can cause depression.
- Friendly color is considered green. It should be made basic in the design of the room and depending on the shade, then choose the floor color.
- It is always necessary to strive to have color balance, and gender plays an important role in it, but do not forget about human psychology. It is worth paying attention to the recommendations of doctors as people have different temperaments, each type perceives a particular color in different ways:
- Choleric should pay attention to orange colors, but for phlegmatic people such a choice will be depressing, green tones will suit them.
- Sanguine are suitable shades of light green or yellow for the walls in combination with a light floor, and melancholy people are recommended light blue walls and brown floors.
It is important to understand how to choose the right color for the decoration of walls or furniture and doors, you need to think through all possible combinations and make the choice in favor of the most spectacular of them. It is worth familiarizing yourself with the trends of a particular style, this will help to make the right choice and put knowledge into practice.
Decide on the design for your interior should be at the preparatory stage of the repair. This will help to greatly simplify the task and choose the color of the floor finishes in accordance with the style groups.
- The Mediterranean style is light and simple, without elements of luxury, floors are not catchy colors, you can use light wood tones, such as bleached oak, ivory oak, ash wood.
- The Scandinavian style is naturalness, restraint with the use of natural materials, exclusively wooden floors in neutral colors.
- The English style is attractive in its classical forms, aristocracy with the use of expensive wood species such as wenge, rosewood, birch, in combination with wooden cornices and panels of dark shades.
- French – provincial style, olive, yellow, lavender colors of the walls and terracotta, sand flooring or natural unprocessed solid board are preferred.
- African style brightness of details, exotic forms, floors of dark shades and a rough texture.
- The Japanese style is restrained, the floors are light or dark colors.
This stylization of a certain direction: Empire, Baroque, Byzantine, Gothic, Classicism, Renaissance, Rococo, etc. When decorating in any of the selected areas, it involves the use of expensive elements, including the finish of the floor should be made of expensive wood or ceramic tiles. The color of the floor and doors is desirable to choose in one color scheme, light colors are preferred. For example, in antique style, marble or mosaic tiles are suitable, and in the Renaissance style several colors are used at once, which traditionally include gold, red, burgundy, green.
- Minimalism is direct geometric shapes, the prevailing colors are white, black, gray in combination with low furniture and smooth monophonic floor.
- Loft style combines large spaces with the use of industrial interior details, the floors in this case can be any in color and texture.
- Kitsch – bright, flashy colors, floors in this style can be unpredictable in color and from any material.
- Art Deco is a style for refined furniture and decorative elements. The walls and floor are unobtrusive pastel, soft colors.
Combination of floor with door
There are no clear boundaries, but the best option is to choose the color of the door a couple of tones lighter or darker than the floor covering.
There are several options for combining floor and door.
- Similarity of colors. The most profitable option, which will create the illusion of a unification of space. For example, if you chose bright doors and floors, this way a small room will visually become more spacious. In this option, you can experiment with possible textures.
- “Game” of one color. This option will create a sense of harmony and is considered simple, but at the same time refined. When combining the main color and its shades, you can get both dark and light, pastel combinations.
- Complementary combination. When combining different colors, the selected elements become catchy and give the interior a dynamic atmosphere. It is worth recalling that dark shades can create the effect of reducing space, it is better not to use it for rooms with a small area, in this case it is better to pay attention to calm tones, for example peach and blue.
- Dark doors in combination with the floor can look a few tones lighter in contrast, wearying your eyes, with the help of a skirting board in tone with the doors can visually smooth out the flaw.
- Light doors and a dark floor look refined in a special way; in this combination, the interior looks stylish and respectable. Bright doors add spaciousness and lightness, and dark floors give a feeling of strength and reliability.
- Dark doors and light floors, a strict and elegant combination. In this case, the dark door becomes the main element, it is the door that forms the effect of that very elegance and makes the atmosphere of the room unique and cozy.
- White doors and pastel shades of the floor will fill the space with warm emotions, tenderness and a cozy atmosphere.
- White doors, gray floor, harmonious and monochromatic combination, fits any interior and shows itself from the best side. If the windows in the room are facing the north side, it will be appropriate to use milk, cream, cream shades.
- White doors and a brown floor, a festive, elegant combination of white with brown will bring an orderly and light appearance to the room.
- The combination of floor and furniture
- According to the recommendations of professionals, several room design options can be distinguished:
- White floor – dark furniture ;
- The floor is natural shades of wood – light furniture or chocolate. Bright colors are better not to choose;
- The floor in dark colors is pastel colored furniture.
- A combination of dark floor and dark furniture is possible, but they will look very unusual.
- Furniture should not have more than three colors, otherwise the room will turn into a children’s playroom.
The combination of floor with walls and ceiling
The general perception of the design of the room depends on well-chosen combinations of floor and walls. In rooms such as the kitchen-living room, you can use different finishes that combine space.
- White walls and white floor. Such an interior reflects calm and is good in that when changing textiles and accessories, you can radically change the style of the interior, its mood. If for someone such an interior seems boring, it can easily be revived with bright details. This combination of walls and floor can be called universal, under them you can choose furniture, both light and dark, the accents can be any – red, yellow, green, etc. but still do not forget the important rule of no more than three colors.
- Light colored walls and white floors. You can add colored wallpaper to the white floor, it is now fashionable to focus on one wall, highlighting it with color saturation or a contrasting pattern.
- Dark walls with white floor. Use this combination carefully. The walls of gray, black, brown tones in the interior turn out to be interesting, but it is “hard” to be among them. This option is better to use in spacious, bright rooms, in standard apartments it is better not to use. In order to relieve the furniture and doors, choose light colors.
- Bright colored wallpaper or paint. Such a combination will make any room bright and cheerful. For bright walls, you can choose shades of blue, green, red or any other as desired. This option will be ideal for children’s rooms, living rooms, kitchen and bathroom as well. But in order not to get too colorful textiles and furniture, it is advisable to choose restrained tones. It is worth adding more pastel, neutral shades, the main thing is not to go too far with the flowers.
- Gray floor. Achromatic gray color serves as a good background for any colors and shades. But it is worth knowing that gray also has half-tones; it can be warm and cold, neutral. If you have not decided on the details of the interior, furniture, walls, but you have definitely decided that there will be gray accents, then it is better to choose a neutral gray. Goes well gray with light tones of pink and pastel, yellow shades. If you choose gray with blue, then you can “dilute” such a cool option by adding accessories and furniture in warm colors. The gray floor and green walls should be selected carefully, it is difficult to choose the perfect option, but possible.
- Dark floors. Dark floors can include black, gray, brown, so as not to create a gloomy atmosphere, it is better to make the walls white, and exclusively white without various shades. The black floor will look good in a modern design in combination with laconic furniture, interesting unusual lamps. Dark floors are suitable for rooms with large windows, plenty of light from natural sources. A black and white interior can turn out to be “overweight”, it will be good to add bright colors, for example, a black floor, white walls, red blotches in furniture. You can use bright paintings on the walls, accessories, selected for the style of the interior, but not get too carried away and limit a large number of additions.
- Brown floors – one of the most popular representatives is wenge-colored parquet, brown gives the interior stability, solidity, looks good in classic style, modern, art deco. Brown goes well with many colors, but walls in beige tones, the color of baked milk are ideal, and if you select the right lighting and furniture, the rooms will look spacious and cozy.
- Bright colors on the floor. Juicy shades will look good in the kitchen. In living rooms it is still better to choose traditional options. To green or blue it is difficult to choose the decor, furniture. Another disadvantage of bright floors can be attributed to the fact that with a long stay in the room, the nervous system will begin to react too sharply even to innocent stimuli, which is unacceptable for rest rooms.
- Floors in natural wood. Wood floors in yellow and orange shades can also look expressively. Regarding the walls, it is better to arrange them in beige tones, baked milk or pastel.
Floor Color By Type Of Room
Hallway floor color
The entrance hall is a full room, part of a house or apartment, and one of the most loaded rooms. The choice of floor color in the hallway plays an important role in solving complex specific problems.
Many professionals recommend a dark color scheme, the argument is simple – pollution and minor damage are less noticeable on such a surface. But there are general patterns of color influence in the design of the hallway. Since the entrance hall is most often a small room, and as we already know in this case, it is better to choose a floor of light shades. You can complement the interior with dark elements, for example, lay a track near the entrance of a dark color. In the spacious hallways there is the opportunity to realize many ideas with different shades. Light floors make the hallway spacious, dark ones hide flaws, the choice is yours. You can choose a dark floor with white walls, and bright colors are suitable in combination with plain light walls. When choosing a color in the hallway, the quantity, type and placement of light sources plays an important role. If furniture is provided in the hallway, then it should be darker than the floor coverings.
Kitchen floor color
The kitchen is a room not only where they work, but also a place where they relax, spend a lot of time, such features require attention when choosing the color of the floor. Walls, furniture and floors should be combined and complement each other as much as possible. Color should not be annoying and cause only positive emotions. Do not forget that with the help of color design you can visually increase the area of the room. It is recommended to consider the option of dividing the room into several zones, such as laminate and tile. Laminate creates comfort, tiles are more practical in the work area. The main condition for such a combination is that both materials should have a harmonious combination if the zone plates are dark, then the rest of the area is lighter. When creating contrasting solutions, dark-colored floors are used, but in such cases a sufficient amount of lighting is needed.
Living room floor color
The best choice for the living room will be parquet, laminate, carpet of light shades in combination with dark or bright furniture. The living room is a room where guests often gather, therefore the floor should set up for good pastime and communication, but at the same time be practical and non-marking. Classic restrained tones are just right: beige, shades of natural wood, light gray can also be considered, but dark noble colors will also fit perfectly: chocolate shades, mahogany, wenge.
Floor color for bedroom
The bedroom is a relaxation room, so you should give preference to calm tones. A light floor in combination with a one-tone plinth or dark brown plus pastel wallpaper and light tulle will add to the overall picture of comfort and tranquility. But you can take a chance and make the floor catchy, dark colors, diluting the overall light palette. From materials suitable laminate and parquet. In a children’s room, the floor is also better to choose calm shades or vice versa highlight with bright colors. It is worth paying attention to blue, peach, sand, light pink, such shades improve mood and stimulate brain activity.
Floor color for bathroom and toilet
For bathrooms there are no special restrictions on the choice of design and color of the floors, it can be either plain light, or radically black or innovative bulk floors with a 3D effect. The best solutions are floors of blue, light green, lavender color. The color of the walls and ceiling can match the color of the floor, in spacious bathrooms you can experiment and combine different colors. For lovers of bright colors, you can pay attention to yellow, pink, blue.
The choice of floor color should be taken responsibly, the coating should look harmonious and complement the interior. You should successfully choose a combination with other elements that will be present in the interior and then it will turn out stylish and cozy. Summing up when choosing the color of the floor, the following are taken into account: the location of the rooms, the presence of natural light or the density of artificial, the purpose of the room, the combination of walls and ceiling, furniture and doors, the perception of colors, and most importantly, the personal preferences and tastes of residents.